Welcome to Towards Simplicity. I blog my goals, especially my reading and studies, and my ongoing downscaling and using up of material stuff and working towards a more minimalist lifestyle.
Friday, 1 March 2013
February Goals Progress
Here are the goals I set and how far I got with them:
* Finish the 17th C anthology Err, no. I think I might have read it once, but it's hard going... The first story is 200 pages long, which is only a problem when you kow there are no chapter divisions or seperators whatsoever...
* Keep up with year-long reading plans This is on target and going well
* Finish Tyranny of History No, I got to about half way through, but rather lost momentum.
* Get sample chapter text done as well as a list of tricky Chinese structure and hard to translate expressions, also a list of what Chinese published advanced textbooks cover in terms of language content. To my shame, no, I didn't touch this one.
* Finish DS Science book 4 - at least the sections I'm planning to cover. I got quite a bit of this done, but it isn't quite finished.
* Finish the MS Word book Did two and a half more chapters, but still have six or more to go...
* Finish Daniel book chapter 9 and start 10 Still working through chapter 9, which is VERY long with a lot of extras in.
* Do a bit more in the chemistry book Yup, I did a bit more.
* Report back on 1 March and also post at least once more during the month. Yup. Made one short post and am updating this now!! I also read two more of the books on the list, one fiction, one non. So, I did some things, but not others!!
I'm not setting 'published' goals this month as I've been unwell again (thus the lack of progress with many things) and I need to rest rather than stress myself out that I haven't done X and Y...
1: When in doubt, take the next small step.
2: Life is too short to waste hating anyone - even if you do have forever!
3: Whatever doesn't kill you often makes you stronger.
4: Make peace with your past so it won't interfere with the present.
5: Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. Get the best from what YOU have.
6: Children get only one childhood - let them have it. There's nothing worse than a 9 year old adult.
7: Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear fancy lingerie. Don't save it for that special occasion that never comes. Today is a gift - that's why it's called 'the present'.=)
8: Be yourself now, you don't have to wait for old age to wear purple!
9: No one is in charge of your happiness but you and no-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
10: React to each perceived disaster with these words. 'In five years, will this matter?'
11: Forgive everyone everything, who has the energy to carry around the weight of grudges?
12: The best is yet to come. Psalm 37:29
(Average of 3 recent quizes - quite possibly not very accurate, but who cares? It's fun!)
My rainbow is strongly shaded green and violet.
What is says about me: I am an intelligent person. I appreciate beauty and craftsmanship. Those around me admire my fresh outlook and vitality. I am patient and will keep trying to understand something until I've mastered it.